Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Welcome to the World Molly Caroline

 

On the morning of September 17th, I was feeling like I had swelled up quickly over the weekend, totally exhausted that morning and wondering to myself how I was going to make it for the next week until she arrived. Over the weekend I had taken a 24 hour urine test to check for preeclampsia because my blood pressure had been higher than normal at the past two appointments. In my mind I was completely fine because I had been feeling great and taking my blood pressure at home and it was completely normal.  We had gotten the results of the blood work back on Saturday it was completely normal but for some reason they didn’t run the urine.  But the doctor on call seemed totally confident that I would be fine so it never even crossed my mind that I might deliver soon other than going into natural labor.

That afternoon I had a NST (non stress test) and an AFI (ultrasound to check the baby's fluid).  So I was just heading out the door with the kids to go pick up Mamoo, so that she could  watch them while I went to my appointment, when the phone rang from the doctor’s office.  It was the nurse practitioner and I could just tell in her voice that she was about to tell me something I didn’t want to hear. Her and I had talked a lot about how much I wanted to do a vaginal delivery so she knew I was going to be disappointed.  She told me that my urine counts were just over what they liked for them to be and had talked to my primary doctor. He thought delivery would be best since I was 38 weeks and 6 days so we could avoid an emergency situation if my blood pressure did indeed continue to rise over the next week.  At first I argued a bit not wanting this to happen but then I remembered how exhausted I felt and how I I felt like I had blown up like a balloon over night so I decided that maybe it was time.

I called Brad and told him Molly was coming today and he needed to come pick me up. I then called Mamoo to tell her she was coming and she said “whose coming?” (haha) that’s how much of a surprise it was to all of us!  Brad is an hour from home and then it is another hour to hospital so it was going to be awhile.  So to kill some time I went to pickup Mamoo and called Grammy on the way to tell her to head our way.  When I got home I hurried around packing the last minute things which included way more than I needed because I was just a nervous wreck and needed something to fill the time.  Brad finally arrived and got himself together and we told the kids where we were going and when they seen us next we would have baby Molly. They were SOOOO excited! We then took one last belly shot and we were on our way. 

IMG_9100

We arrived at the hospital about 1:15pm and they checked my cervix to see if I was dilated.  If I was they would induce me and allow me to try vaginally.  However, I was not and at that point I was just ready to see her so I was ok with c-cestion. The more interventions that are done during a vaginal the less likely it will be successful and I would have ended up in the OR anyway.  So they got me prepped and ready and by 3:30pm we were headed back to have our sweet baby. 

I was so calm the entire time and not nervous or anxious at all. I guess knowing what was going to happen since I had been there once before made it that much easier this time.  The surgery went so well and it all happened so fast.  During the triplets delivery it seemed to take forever and then after they were born and whisked away I was put to sleep because I was so anxious and uneasy.  I reminded Brad until he was blue in the face that he needed to take a million pictures.  The poor guy doesn’t do well with blood…WAIT he can’t even change a poop diaper without gagging… let alone be in the room while I am having major surgery.  I was so proud of him when they said get ready dad he just starting snapping over the sheet and I will spare you the pictures that he actually took of her coming out.  It is really quite awesome to have them and I am so glad he captured it but I don’t think he knew what he was taking..in fact I know he didn’t!!

And at 4:11pm….

IMG_9105 

The first thing out of our mouths was “look how big she is!”  It brought tears to my eyes!

She was checked out, weighed and measured at 6lbs 9oz and 19 inches long.

IMG_9107

Getting footprints…

IMG_9110

She was then given back to Brad where we got to gaze at her while they fixed me up.  It was one of the best moments of my life getting to be with her so soon. This was one of the things I missed most about the triplets delivery.

IMG957456

Getting ready to be wheeled out to recovery

IMG958408

She latched right on and has been nursing successfully ever since.  I couldn’t believe how easy it was and so blessed she took right to it.  There was no learning curve for her…only me! After 24 bottles a day…I am happy to not even have one bottle to clean!

IMG_9113

WELCOME TO THE WORLD MOLLY CAROLINE!

No comments:

Post a Comment